Put an end to check fraud. Positive pay screens checks for alterations and mismatches, guaranteeing you protection.
- Catch fraudulent activity before the money leaves your account
- Simple, back end process:
- Positive Pay — Automatically compares checks presented for payment to those in your check issued file
- Sends alerts when a mismatch occurs
- You decide whether or not to approve the payment
- Timely return of money should fraud occur
- Enjoy increased peace of mind knowing your information is receiving increased security
One of the most serious security issues we have encountered over the past year is the significant increase in check fraud. We are seeing this type of fraud impact our business customers, our non-profit customers and even some of our consumer accounts.
Businesses who mail out a significant number of checks are especially vulnerable.
The problem has become so prevalent that our Bank, along with all other banks in the United States, received a special alert earlier this year from FinCEN (The Financial Crimes Enforcement Network) regarding a nationwide surge in mail theft-related check fraud.
Check Positive Pay Fraud Solution
While this problem is serious, we want to make you aware of a tool available to help protect the checks you write. This tool helps verify that your checks are paid for the amounts you wrote them for and that they are paid to the payees you intend to pay.
That tool is Check Positive Pay with Payee Verification.
How it Works
When you write a check or your accounts payable software issues a check, you will create a file that contains the following key data points:
- Check Number
- Dollar Amount
- Payee Name (the person or company you are paying)
From there, the process is simple:
- You upload or enter this information securely via your Sterling State Bank online banking.
- Every day, as checks present to your account, we screen those checks against the list of validly issued checks
- If the information on the check clearing your account matches the valid check information you shared with us, the check will post to your account.
- If there is something that doesn’t match on a presenting check, that check is flagged for review, and you will have a chance to look at it and either decide to pay it or return it.
Is There a Cost for Positive Pay?
Check Positive Pay does require daily monitoring of the check transactions in your account. The cost for this service is $50/month for the first account and $25/month for any additional accounts you want protected.
Setting Up Positive Pay
We will work with you to make setting up Check Positive Pay as simple as possible. From building the check file to showing you how to securely and efficiently upload the information to Sterling State Bank, our retail and Operations staff is ready to fully support your conversion to Check Positive Pay fraud protection.
Service fees may apply and are based on the number of accounts protected. See fee schedule for details. **You must review all of these exception checks (items) before 10 a.m. CST/CDT and choose to either return or pay the exception item. If you don’t resolve these exception items in a timely manner, the items will by default be paid even if they are fraudulent. This service currently is available for checks only, not electronic (ACH) payments.